Thanks xxx, for asking about DBT groups through my Psychology Today site. As generally practiced, DBT is more a classroom/psycho-educational approach, rarely interpersonally oriented. In fact, DBT groups are designed to minimize emotionally upsetting discussion between members, & focus on learning, importantly through homework and discussion of homework, the skills of mindfulness.
I use CBT a lot [on which DBT is based], w/o being systematic or using their vocabulary. I’ve read some & had some training in DBT, but don’t run DBT groups. I lead 3 weekly groups, eclectically integrating many other approaches w/ the Interpersonal approach. I usually see folks who want group therapy for three 45 minute individual sessions, to form a strong therapeutic relationship and fully to prepare them to make the most of group treatment. I also lead 3 yearly Full Day Hypnosis retreats, & the next will be Feb 28, ’14.
My sliding scale goes both up & down, & there’re always a couple of lower fee clients in my groups. Fee for first individual session is $175., & most folks set a fee between $150./$160. for subsequent individual sessions. If we fit right together, & I’m the right guy for the job, my fees can range from free/ $10. for the rare “starving grad students w/ 3 kids”, to considerably more than $150. for folks with a stream or two of professional income. Standard fee for weekly groups is $70., present or absent, and clients agree to view the videodiscs of a session they miss.
My groups meet in Chapel Hill Mondays 5:30 – 7PM, & in Raleigh Tuesdays 4:30-6PM, &
Thursdays 5-6:30 PM. I do very little by E mail; if you’d like further to consider the possibilities, please call me
919-215-4703. I work Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays only & generally return calls on those days only.
I look forward to getting to know you & discussing the options. Warmly, Dr Bob
- Group Psychotherapy to Learn Essential Skills of Emotional Intimacy
- Weekly Group Therapy – Client Prep and My Background
- New Years Resolutions – Family Style
- Unconscious Learning & Memory Outside Conscious Awareness Currently Widely Accepted & Researched
- Occasional Openings in My 3 Weekly Therapy Groups
- All Day Hypnosis Group Friday 10-27 – possibly the last
- Peggy’s View of Our Seattle Weekend with the Gottmans
- Death of a Dear Friend
- A Good Relationship Primer
- Kaya the Kangal – the Passing of a Livestock Guardian Dog
Follow Bob’s Blog
Areas of Interest
Cobalt Blue by Peggy Payne