How To Get The Most Out Of Your Weekly Interpersonal Group Therapy Experience
- Outside of Group
- Arrange Regular contact and time with group members between groups.
- Commit yourself to change/learn/practice/use other expressions than the discount “try” unless you’re not fully committed to the action.
- Develop clear, as-measurable-as-possible, goals.
- Review your goals regularly, at least quarterly, then date and rate (1-10) on your written contract.
- Stay focused on change, and Focus on the present.
- Take reasonable risks, especially when scared, exploring and experimenting with new behaviors in group and between sessions.
- Keep a therapy journal – it really helps!
- Practice new behaviors again and again and again, in and out of group.
- Watch the video of the group carefully and often between sessions, both both when present and absent, being sure to take notes and report your observations, thoughts and feelings to the group.
- Put strong and significant energy into homework when it is assigned, and be sure to bring it up yourself/discuss it at the next session.
- Carefully reward yourself for practice and positive changes, especially for small steps – this is how all animals learn anything – (Please Don’t Shoot the Dog – Karen Pryor).
- While in Group
- Develop ‘here and now’ skills – be present-focused – what do I want/feel/think NOW.
- Check-out/ask other members during group about your perceptions, beliefs, impact and influence on other members, and about your reactions to group experiences and to other members.
- Develop simple, clear and effective intimacy skills (open, honest and direct in the “here and now”; especially notice discounts of self and others – talking and/or acting as if what is Real isn’t Real and vice versa.
- Give other members authentic, generous, clear feedback.
- Give authentic positive strokes to others for their courage, persistence and changes
- Review these guidelines carefully the first week and Monthly thereafter.
CenterPoint Psychotherapy Psychology Associates
3729 Benson Drive 1611 E. Franklin Street
Raleigh, NC 27609 Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.215.4703 firstname.lastname@example.org www.drbobdick.com